Byron is a problem solver and loves to be challenged. Always smiling, Byron enjoys collaborative, learning work environments.
Byron Guptill, IT Professional
Byron joined the corporate world in 1998 when he started working with JDS Uniphase. There, it became apparent that customer service and problem solving were among his strengths.
As a result of a volatile market and Nortel’s misfortune, JDS was forced to reduce their workforce. This led Byron to join Compaq, whom later merged with HP. There, Byron employed his French language skills to support corporate offices throughout Quebec and the Ottawa Valley. In this mature corporate environment Byron was continuously introduced to tooling that was able to eliminate most of the manual work he was responsible for. This inspired Byron to learn to write his own tools as a way to bring value to an organization.
When Byron joined RIM in 2007, he noticed that his team relied on uninspiring manual tasks to complete work. Byron got to work and wrote an OS image deployment tool. The company wide adoption of this tool opened the door and Byron was involved in several opportunities to introduce efficiencies. While he worked on software deployment solutions, intake forms, process automation, configuration management, Byron kept on eye on trends in the marketplace. As a result, he was able to introduce highly effective work methodologies as well.
Byron is currently working for Everest Toys and Sunrise Records. This environment is a golden opportunity so that he may broaden his reach as he is responsible for the IT operations of these companies. Byron has successfully driven a network segmentation project, reduced the risk to the business by implementing a role based security model in Active Directory. He also has automated OS deployment, uncluttered services, optimized software licensing, and scripted administrative tasks.
Byron is a positive force in the workplace. He has a sense of optimism that no matter how dire a situation may appear to be, there is always a pragmatic solution.
In his mind, the key is to smile, take a deep breath, and dive in.
VS Code (IDE)
March 2019 – Present
- Successfully led project to design and implement network segregation for improved security and reliability
- Improved security posture by creating role based permissioning scheme to manage Active Directory
- Initiated and driving project to improve reliability of store POS infrastructure
- Develop PowerShell modules to improve efficiency with Microsoft O365 tenant
- Design and implement BYOD Mobile Application Management policy
- Design and implement secure password policy
- Develop standards for site to site VPN implementation
- Modernized the computer image deployment process
- Establish escalation path for stores with focus on cost efficiency
- Introduced Change Management process
- Manage IT operations budget
- Managed contract with managed service provider
June 2007 – November 2018
Feb 2017 – Nov 2018
- Worked with Vendor Management team to create an RFP and select an LMS platform
- Collaborated with Operations team to design and test several Disaster Recovery Plans for online customer portals
- Initiated collaboration with Digital Marketing to share platform and posture team to pool resources, lobbied Customer Support Organization to sponsor portal transformation and led a steering committee to launch project
- Research contracts to take stock of rights and obligations, validate product usage, and advocate for technical writers on quote to add value to the organization. Negotiated reduction in operational costs by $400,000
Senior System Administrator
Apr 2014 – Feb 2017
- Deployed JAMF Casper Suite (EMM) to manage 850+ Mac devices
- Desktop focal for integration activities of AtHoc and Good Technologies computer systems
- Designed and implemented the architecture of the O365 environment (Windows and Mac)
- Rolled out the Landscape management platform
- Designed and developed an automated OS deployment solution for Ubuntu
- Simplified imaging processes by implementing PXE imaging
- Introduced DevOps approach to Mac configuration management through best practices
- Designed and implemented a flexible self service imaging tool for Mac OS X
- Pre-installed OS could opt-in to a software distribution agent that offers standard productivity software and configures the OS to corporate standards
- Used as part of OS deployment process to deploy standard configuration
Technical Lead, IT Service Delivery Automation
Jul 2012 – Apr 2014
- Acted as a project manager and lead architect to implement SCCM 2012 R2
- Researched and implemented the solution in a 6 month period
- Delegated tasks to team members to build the software library, collections, and queries that automate software deployment
- Influential member on the team encouraging adoption Agile methodologies and use Kanban board in an effort to be more transparent
- Designed and implemented a self serve imaging tool for Windows
- migrate their computers from Windows XP to Windows 7
- boot media allowed for deployment of a fresh Windows 7 image
- Architect of a solution that automates software delivery to end points
- flexible and allow us to replace LANDesk without impacting the end users
- In 2016, integrated with Jamf Casper Suite
Team Lead, Service Delivery Automation
Dec 2010 – Jul 2012
- Developed reports pulling data from LANDesk and other sources to provide insights into desktop environment.
- I led a team of 8 talented people with two distinct functions, programmers and administrators
- Introduced Agile methodology to team which improved output and team collaboration.
Technical Lead, Desktop Software Tools
Mar 2009 – Nov 2010
- Met with teams to get an understanding of the processes in an effort to automate services
- Partnered with Vendor to customize software to suit the needs of RIM
- Instrumental in encouraging team collaboration by setting up source control and helping with documentation
Desktop Software Automation Specialist
Mar 2008 – Mar 2009
- Lead developer and architect automated OS deployment solution
- Solution deployed 300 images per week and was used until 2012
- Supported Mac OS 10.5
- Certified September 5, 2008
Desktop Support Specialist
Jul 2007 – Mar 2008
- Helped deploy computers to a growing office in Halifax. Also provided technical support to the internal user base
2005 – 2007
- Developed websites for small business and associations including Upper Canada Minor Hockey League, Red Head Pantry, La Pampita, Chesterville Farmers’ Market.
- LAMP stack
- XHTML and CSS 2.0 for front end
- Created template which allowed me to create new sites quickly.
Kemtah Group at Hewlett-Packard
November 2001 – June 2007
Deskside Support Specialist
- Windows environment
- Update machines in Quebec to comply with French Language Law
- Created batch files to automate the manual process, allowing me to work more efficiently
- Supported 5 sites across Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City
1998 – 2001
Systems Support Specialist
- Supported Windows environment.
- Programmed Meridian phones on PBX
- Problem solving in Manufacturing, Engineering, and Support environments.
Bruce Trail Conservency
September 2019 – present
Work with the trail maintenance team to improve bridges, boardwalks and trim back vegetation. Help keep the trails beautiful.
Canadian Diabetes Association
December 2015 – December 2018
Promote effective strategies to a fundraising team across Canada. Attend the event and run alongside the participants to help motivate and ensure the safety of the running team.